Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Unlikely Blend: Tomatoes and Beer

Happened across a little nugget of a quote in The Beachcomber News. That’s one of those kitschy, home-town papers that feature only feel-good news stories about garden club meetings and pancake breakfast fundraisers. The most recent issue’s weekly health tip proclaimed the virtues of the tomato and included this assertion.

"New Jersey tomato sandwiches on toast with salt and pepper and a dash of mayonnaise prove that God loves us."
~~Dr. J. Zimmerman, The Beachcomber News, 8/11/2006~~

Huh? I was getting a real hankering to poke major fun at the comment’s absurdity when I thought, let me first find out who this Dr. J is. After all, I don’t want to go berating his words of wisdom if he’s the world’s leading authority on the divine qualities of tomato sandwiches.

So I Googled him and, surprise, surprise, he is a blogger! But he blogs not on the merits of tomato sandwiches, but on beer. Now, I don’t know about you, but if a doc is blogging about beer, I take that to mean that it is vital to my health that I go drink some.

But first I needed to see which beer Dr. J would prescribe for me. He is only a semi-frequent beer blogger, so just a few posts down was his Cinco de Mayo post. Ah, Mexican beer! Just what the doctor ordered, me thinks. Naturally Dr. J has to give a shout out to Corona because it’s soooo popular in the US. (Ugh! It’s total piss beer, people! Even the Mexicans don’t like it. Why do you think they ship so much of it up North?)

The absolute best Mexican beer (and I do believe I’ve tested them all) is Negra Modelo. Yum, yum, yum. You don’t find it everywhere, especially if you are way up in Sam Adams country, like me. But it is definitely worth looking for. And, guess what? Dr. J agrees, declaring it the best beer to eat with fajitas on Cinco de Mayo. Andale, doc!

So, though I have gone off on quite the tangent, bottom line is that I have decided not to deride Dr. J's previously-cited tomato comment. For all appearances, Dr. J is a man of great taste and stellar intelligence, so he must know what he is talking about. As for me, I am off in search of some Negra Modelo. Hasta la proxima.




Hola gringos. Thought you would be interested to know that fajitas were invented in the US (albeit perhaps by mejicanos), as was the concept of Cinco de Mayo as an excuse to have a fiesta and drink beer. Gracias, though, for being so accepting of pseudo Latino culture. Hey, can you guess where the tomato plant originated? Hint: A bit further south than Jersey.

7 comments:

John H said...

man, i love me some Negro Modelo! My favorite beer/brew/drink in the universe.

Sounds like you have excellent taste..(o:

John H said...

PS..i linked to your blog from mine..hope that is ok..not that it will get you thousands of readers...(o:

Vive42 said...

uh oh. now we're getting into the vegetable wars. while many authorities concede that the Americas (which for those that don't know include the USA, Canada, Mexico, Brazil, some islands, some countries ending in "dor" and "can", Chile, Argentina, etc) produced all the best vegetables known to humankind, others staunchly defend the humble rutabaga...

hey! john h beat me to it. i was totally gonna be the first commenter, but i stopped to check the spelling of rutabaga...

sam adams is a fine local beer to have. Up Boston and all that rot. i had something out of a bright gold can tonight, probably a cousin of the PBR family. Tasted like budweiser- corona woulda been an improvement. but i shouldn't look a gift beer in the mouth, or something.

PARLANCHEQ said...

John H: Sure, it's OK, thanks.

Vive42: Hard to believe the Europeans conquered the Americas given the fuel they were running on. Maybe Queen Isabella sent Columbus off not looking for gold and riches, but rather for decent veges.

Negra Modelo rules! Sam Adams is acceptable if I am forced to do domestic. :)

meloncutter said...

Dr.J could be right on a couple of accounts. A [lot of] good red beer on a hot day while grilling loads of ribs seems to fit the bill for a healthy afternoon in the back yard. Tomato juice, beer, salt pepper and a dash of hot sauce will always spice up a bood BBQ.

Later Yall.....

meloncutter said...

Ooops... typo... got to remember. proof read before posting... proof read before posting. Ain't had my morning beer yet. Meant GOOD not bood.

Sorry about that....

Later Yall.

PARLANCHEQ said...

Would probably also spice up a 'hood BBQ. :)