Sunday, October 29, 2006

Maybe the Freaks Sleep In

I wanted to walk around New York City's East Village (the neighborhood portrayed in the play and movie Rent), but a friend who lives in NYC discouraged me. "It's not pretty," he said, "I never go there." But I didn't want pretty; I wanted funky and freaky. You know, good bog stuff. My friend assured me I would find 'freaks' galore if I walked along St. Mark's Place.

He was wrong. I went there this morning and didn't see anyone even close to freaky. Maybe the place has become so gentrified that the freaks have been pushed out. Or maybe they just don’t get up at 9 o’clock in the morning.





Hmm, is it just a matter of time before Starbucks adds tattoos to its product offerings?

5 comments:

misanthropster said...

nope, the freaky definitely do not get up before noon.

I guess I no longer count among the freaky.

sigh.

Blondie said...

They were sleeping under the underpasses. Or something.

Pepper said...

And Body Piercing as well.

austere said...

ah well.
too early.

PARLANCHEQ said...

Misanthropster: That's what I was afraid of. The early bird may get the worm, but not pictures of the freaks. ;)

Blondie: I should have checked there!

Pepper: Well you can't have tattoos without body piercing, now can you?

Austere: Yes, it would appear that way. Oh well, I tried!