Friday, October 27, 2006

Ups and Downs at Macy's

We went to what must be the largest Macy's in the world, the one at Herald Square in New York City. It's something like a whole block wide and 10 stories tall. Seriously it is so big there is almost too much stuff and it's a bit overwhelming. But forget all the crap for sale - I don't even like Macy's - the best thing about the store is that it has the coolest wooden escalators.

Now, mind you, I almost fell flat on my face riding the old-school wooden escalators because - and this is hard to explain - the metal grates at the bottom stick up quite high and my shoe got caught on them. But this minor snafu aside, I totally loved the escalators. They bring back memories of days long past when going to stores like Macy's was a unique shopping experience. Now it doesn't matter if you're in Macy's or in some other department store chain Macy's hasn't quite gotten around to buying out yet. It doesn't matter if you're in a mall in California or Maryland. Everything is pretty much the same. Ho-hum. No wonder I hate shopping. But riding up and down escalators, now that's fun. I'm surprised Macy's doesn't sell tickets.




This picture I took just doesn't do the escalators justice. Turns out that it's nearly impossible to simultaneously take a good picture in a department store and try not too look like a stupid tourist from Podunk. I found another picture and even a video on the Internet, if you want to try to get the full effect. (See, other people think the escalators are cool, too.)

Also saw this at Macy's...It was kind of still behind wraps, but looked like they were getting ready to reveal it any day. Ugh! Already? (And, yes, Rock Star totally pretended to not know me when I took these pictures.)



9 comments:

ShadowFalcon said...

Tell Rock Star you are enlightening the masses, I've never been to new york so bring on the photos!

Odat said...

Welcome to NY!!! Have fun!!
I go to Macy's a lot on my lunch hour...but I just go in and out to the spot I need to go...It is overwhelming....

Crankster said...

The best thing about those old escalators is the danger. I'm sure they're safe, but you feel like a wrong look, an extended pause, and they're measuring you for a false limb.

Michael C said...

That escaltor is the coolest thing I have ever seen. Of course, I hate new things so that's probably why. Thanks for sharing. If I ever got to NY, those escaltors are on my list!

heartinsanfrancisco said...

That Macy's has always occupied an entire city block. And they're the folks who bring us the Easter Parade every year with giant floats.

I adore escalators. I could ride them up and down all day, and have on occasion. (They say getting there is half the fun!!)

Enjoy your visit to the Big City.

misanthropster said...

I forced crankster to go to the Macy's in Herald Sq. on one of our previous trips to New York. He didn't mention the escalators. Now we must go back.

Anyway, did it seem a little shabby to you? It did to me. I was confused. I enjoyed the two seconds I got to spend there though...

PARLANCHEQ said...

Shadow Falcon: Turns out Rocks Star ditched me for most of our trip, so I was free to take as many pictures as I pleased. ;)

Odat: I couldn't find the spot I wanted! After going all the way up in a daze using the main escalators, I realized that there were signs posted near the side escalators telling you where everything was. Yeah, and what I wanted was back down on the first floor!

Crankster: Yep, I actually found a story about a kid who got her finger severed on the escalators. I'm surprised that Macy's didn’t whip them out of the store after that...

Michael C: Hope you get to go to NY! It's great! (And I don't even work for the tourist bureau.)

Hearts in San Francisco: I love escalators, too. They are much better than elevators. Although I guess if I wanted to go 50 floors or something, it would be a little slow via escalator. ;)

Misanthropster: Now that you mention it, yes, it was a little shabby. But then so are the Macy's in the Boston area. But if I compare to the Marshall Fields flagship store in Chicago, that was much nicer when I was there last year. (Of course now it is owned by Macy's, so it'll probably go straight downhill...)

austere said...

I guess i prefer the lift anyday, the escalator pic looks nice..ancient-like.

What's with the empty shelves?

I found Macy's in SF too much of a good thing, couldnt make myself spend any $ after 4 hours of walking around, i need my hawkers and street vendors to haggle with...

PARLANCHEQ said...

Austere: I think the shelves were still empty because store employees were in the process of readying the Christmas section. No doubt by now they have them stuffed full with holiday goodies.