Friday, November 17, 2006

I Care About My Hair

I got my hair cut and I love, love, love it. I can’t even remember the last time I had that feeling after getting my hair cut. Hell, I can’t even remember the last time I got my hair cut. March, maybe? Hey, I live in New England. We’re not exactly known for our style sense.

But now I’m on a roll. I like the haircut so much that I’m gonna go to the same place to get my hair colored. I’ve been thinking about this for awhile, but was hesitant to make the plunge. See, I had a traumatic hair experience in seventh grade. I twisted my mother’s arm until she said I could get a perm. Instead of messing with an Ogilvie home perm, she even let me go to a fancy salon. (Fancy being a relative term, since I lived in New Hampshire at that time.) So, anyway, long story short, it turned out like this. (I’ll let you decide which of those in the picture I am referring to.) Agh!

Ever since then I've been hesitant to let hairdressers have their way with my hair. But I really think (hope) this stylist knows what she’s doing. I scheduled an appointment for next week. Now all I have to do is decide what color I want.

I asked some people at work what they’d think if I got my hair colored red like Sharon Osbourne’s. They looked at me like I was crazy. Whatever. Since I mostly work from home and only go to the office maybe once a week or so, it’s not like I need to worry what my coworkers think.

Plus, Rock Star thinks it’s a wicked awesome idea. He even promised that if I dye my hair like Sharon Osbourne’s, he’ll do me the great honor of taking my picture and posting it on his MySpace page with the caption, ‘Mama Dukes.’ Although, come to think of it, that may be a reason to not go for the Sharon Osbourne look.

So I’m thinking maybe Kelly Clarkson. (This version, since she changes her hair color more often than her underwear.) I’m serious. What do you think?

11 comments:

heartinsanfrancisco said...

You and I are on the same page. Exactly.

I have been scared of hairdressers forever after several traumatic experiences, but I had it cut short last week and actually liked it. This was a first. My family and in-person friends have never known me to like a haircut unless it was someone else's.

So I went back yesterday and had him put in high and low lights. I asked for subtle. Since I had virgin hair :), he was able to use two colors in a one-step procedure, no bleaching first.

I HATE IT. It looks brassy and has visible roots, avoidance of which is why you have highlights instead of a full dye job in the first place. My healthy hair has lost its shine, and did I mention how much I hate it?

Hats. Hats and more hats. And now I'll have to get it REALLY short to get rid of it faster. Yes, it's permanent.

Long whine, I know. I just want you to be very sure you've seen your hairdresser's color work before you do it. I didn't. I'm sorry. (And it was not cheap, either.)

As for your question, it depends. What kind of coloring do you have?

thethinker said...

I hate getting my hair cut. I got one a few months ago and it still hasn't gone back to the way it was. I can't keep wearing a hat forever...

As for your hair, I say go for the Kelly Clarkson colors.

PARLANCHEQ said...

Hearts in SF: Uh-oh, a horror story! Now I'm having second thoughts. (Natural hair color is brown with reddish tones as well as an increasing number of grey streaks; complexion is pale as snow.)

The Thinker: Months and still not better? Yikes! I'll note one vote for Kelly colors. And it seems I need to get some hats, too, just in case.

Skittles said...

Of the two pictures presented I'd have to go with Sharon!

I hate getting my haircut because in my entire life I've probably only had one or two of them turn out the way I wanted. I say "Like this, but shorter." How hard is that? I do, however like going there. One can always hope. :)

Kevin said...

Kelly Clarkson colors. Definitely.

Isabella Snow said...

Almost every woman in this country between the ages of 20 and 60 has colored their hair some shade of pink.

If it doesn't work out for you, you can always move here.

abbagirl74 said...

Kelly Clarkson with a little more of the Sharon red.

Lee said...

It's just hair. My hair color is usually the reddish flavored one on sale at Target. My hairdresser hates me. Try one, live with it for a while, then try to other when you need a change!

Crankster said...

My wife and I refer to the Osbourne color as "Polish girl red," as all the girls in Poland seemed to have hair that color.

I love it when my wife dyes it that shade.

Mairin Verthandi said...

I had a really bad perm when I was 17. To this day, I still haven't forgiven the bitch of a hairdresser who made me look like a freak at an age when image is everything. LOL

I vote for Kelly Clarkson too.

austere said...

i henna my hair and wear it really long. well, very long. i cut it in a fit of temper when i was 27.blunt and cute, but not me. no, i dont think i'd cut it again. the sharon one looks nicer.