Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Fashion Under Wraps

At the second national fashion show of Islamic and Iranian women's clothes last week in Tehran, a government official noted that "Just as men have the freedom to choose various colors and designs, women should also have the option to select their favorite clothes according to Islamic codes." (How's that for gender equality?)

The fashions presented were intended to "[respond] to the needs of youth and [present] proper models...to safeguard the Islamic and Iranian cultural identity." (In other words, in hopes that young Iranian women will stop wearing slutty westernized clothing.)

"The official said that Iranian designs not only suit the taste of Muslim Iranian women, but they can also appeal to all women across the world." (I guess that means these fashions will be available at Macy's next season?)

~
Islamic Republic News Agency, Jan 18, 2007 ~


A sampling from the show...

The same-old, same-old style

The cover yourself at all costs (even with the dining room curtains, if necessary) style

The ethnic chic plus head scarf style*


More pictures: 1, 2, 3

*This is what I will wear in the event the world converts to Islam. It's kind of classy, don't you think?

6 comments:

Lee said...

Well, it would certainly cut down on bad hair days, shaving and the face thing would help us hide cold-sores and zits. I do like some of those textiles though!

heartinsanfrancisco said...

Notice how happy the models look.

ShadowFalcon said...

I'm muslim and I don't dress like that (nor am I under an pressure to do so) but my sister does, she started doing it when she was 20. I know lots of people think its really opressive and I know in several coutries women are not given a choice (which is completely wrong) but there are plenty out there like my sister who choose to dress like this. I don't see how its any different then dressing goth or anything else as long as its your own choice.

Jill said...

When I saw the first girl I didn't think that it was real at first. I read an interesting book about Iran this summer, and it seemed like there were many, many, women who didn't want to dress like this, but there were also quite a few who did. It seems like a good way to hide unexpected weight gain.

Jill said...

When I saw the first girl I didn't think that it was real at first. I read an interesting book about Iran this summer, and it seemed like there were many, many, women who didn't want to dress like this, but there were also quite a few who did. It seems like a good way to hide unexpected weight gain.

Isabella Snow said...

Worth noting women aren't required to wear full chador in Iran - only the headscarf is required, and only in public.

It's true, many women don't want to dress this way - but a surprising number really do.

Persia was not a Muslim country until the Arabs came in and raped everyone and cut heads off for not converting quickly enough.

They are quite different when they move to the West - you'll find most of them drink, rarely attend services and are generally non-religious and don't think the West is "evil".

Unfortunately, the country is helmed by a madman, which does little to convey how "normal" most Persians actually are.

It was a only a few decades ago that Iran had a King which discouraged women from wearing scarves ad veils, etc.