Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Last Night's Dinner: Italian

Last night Sneaker Dude, who is visiting this week from Virginia, and Rock Star finally made good on their promise to take me out for a birthday dinner. I've known they were planning such a thing ever since my actual birthday (a while back), but they waited until 8:00 p.m. yesterday evening (when Rock Star got home from work) to spring it on me that last night was when we were going out. Good thing I had been staling on hauling my ass into the kitchen to make dinner.

The kids told me I got to pick the restaurant. That was a bit of a dilemma. I mean, how was I to know whether or not they expected me to choose a place with a value meal? Fortunately when I hemmed and hawed, Sneaker Dude suggested Cheesecake Factory so I knew I had some price leeway. We ended up at this little off-the-beaten-path Italian place where we'd never been before. I prefer to stay away from chain restaurants when possible. Plus I was afraid if we went to Cheesecake factory the kids would summon the waitrons over to sing happy birthday to me. *gag*

We had a nice meal complete with Tiramisu (my favorite!) and then Sneaker Dude whipped out his Visa card and took care of the bill like he does this sort of thing all the time. (OK, so he had to use the calculator on his cell phone to figure out the tip, but at least he knew enough to leave one.) The only downside to the whole evening was realizing that having kids old enough to take me out to eat at a classy restaurant means that I am over the hill for sure.



Sorry for the lack of posts the past few days. You can blame it on Sneaker Dude's visit.

4 comments:

heartinsanfrancisco said...

Happy belated birthday! It sounds lovely.

Tiramisu is my favorite dessert, too. (Also creme brulee and mousse au chocolat.) Well.

It's true. When your kids take you to nice restaurants, it's definitely a new era. But such a very wonderful one. Enjoy!

john h said...

hey, you may be SLIGHTLY on one side of the hill, but i think it's pretty damn nice that the boys paid your way. That had to feel pretty pretty sweet.

Mairin said...

I love tiramisu as well. *drools*

Kirsten said...

Ah, just one thing I miss about the east coast - tiny, hole-in-the-wall Italian restaurants that serve the best food you could find. Nope, not in Vegas.

If you could send me a Kelly's roast beef, I'd very much appreciate it.