Monday, February 19, 2007

I Hate Cape Cod

My mother loves Cape Cod, Massachusetts so much that she bought a home there. Right now she just uses it as a weekend getaway, but her plan is to retire there in a few years.

My father loves Florida's Gulf Coast so much that he bought a home there. After he moved in he said he would never again live in a place with snow or cold winters.

But now my dad is talking about moving back north. At first I figured it was just that - talk. I mean, this is a guy who calls me all winter just to brag about how he's wearing shorts and going to the beach while I am freezing my ass off in Massachusetts. But last weekend he flew up to look at property. On Cape Cod. Just a few towns over from where he knows my mom’s place is! Did I mention that my parents are divorced and basically despise one another?

Now I have a dilemma. Am I under some sort of mother-daughter moral obligation to talk my dad out of it? Do I have to fess up to my mom about my dad's plans before they are even certain? Agh! It’s times like these that I wish I were an orphan.



I see more visits to Cape Cod in my future.
I've never liked Cape Cod that much.
Now I'm starting to hate it.

5 comments:

ShadowFalcon said...

I'm surprised I thought CapeCod was meant to be beautiful?

maybe convince your dad to move to Hawaii?

JR's Thumbprints said...

Cape Coddin' you will go, Cape Coddin' you will go. Hi ho the der rio, Cape Coddin' you will go.

heartinsanfrancisco said...

Cape Cod is pretty if you like bleak. The dunes at Truro are beautiful and fun to slide down.

But what is going on with your father? Do you think he is hoping to reconcile with your mother? He has to know she bought a place there, no?

Are you an only child? I have no idea what you can or should do. Maybe YOU should move to Hawaii.

Kirsten said...

Personally, Cape Cod is one of my favorite places in MA. But being a go-between for my parents (who are also divorced) is one of my least favorite things to do.

Michael C said...

Hmmm, I see a great TV pilot forming out of this ;-)