Thursday, May 17, 2007

Organic Junk Food

Nabisco just can't leave the Oreo alone. First there were low fat Oreos, then low carb Oreos and now organic Oreos. Because I am sure you are dying to know how the organics stack up to original Oreos, I purchased some of each for a side-by-side comparison. Eating two packages of Oreos was a tough job, but someone had to do it.

Interestingly, organic Oreos are slightly smaller than original Oreos. The distinctive raised pattern on each organic cookie is so perfect it almost makes them look fake. This could be because they come in a box rather than a soft package like the originals. I think, though, that the organic cookies are harder because they appear to require more milk dipping time than the non-organics. As far as taste goes, organic Oreos are good, but regular Oreos are better. They seemed more chocolaty for some reason.

A check of the nutrition facts on each package indicates that neither variety has any real redeeming nutritional value. Unfortunately the organic Oreos will make you just as fat as regular Oreos. Unless, that is, if their price - more than double that of regular old Oreos - makes you eat less of them.



Ingredients
Organic wheat flour
Organic evaporated cane sugar
Palm oil
Expeller-pressed oleic safflower oil
Cocoa (processed with alkali)
Organic brown rice syrup
Organic Organic cornstarch
Baking soda and/or calcium phosphate
Sea salt
Soy lecithin
Organic vanilla extract

Calories in 3 cookies
160 total
60 from fat


Price
17 cents per cookie
($3.49, package of 21 cookies)




Ingredients
Sugar
Enriched flour
High oleic canola oil, palm oil and/or canola oil
Cocoa (processed with alkali)
High fructose corn syrup
Baking soda
Cornstarch
Salt
Soy lecithin
Vanillin - an articicial flavor
Chocolate

Calories in 3 cookies

160 total
60 from fat

Price
7 cents per cookie
($3.29, package of 45 cookies)

7 comments:

Deb said...

Nice post. I prefer the Double Stuff ones anyway.

mmmmmmm Oreos

Kirsten said...

I too prefer the Double Stufs Oreos. I do not believe in any attempts to make junk food appear any healthier. If I want to eat an apple, I will. If I want to eat a package of Double Stuff Oreos, I will. There will be no confusing as to which one is healthy and which one isn't.

Lee said...

We've got a box of those organic ones in the pantry getting stale. I never tried them and now I'm scared of them. Healthy OREOS is for commies anyway.

Travis said...

Organic Oreos! Harumph!

Kilroy_60 said...

When you're MILK'S FAVORITE COOKIE what sense does changing make?

I imagine it may have been painful having to take on the challenge of eating two packs. Especially if you take the time to lick the cream from each one. 8-)

Are we smiling?

Le Renard said...

I've sat here for about five minutes trying to think of something to say. I've got nothing.

I found this and thought of you!
http://www.patriciawaller.com/en/images.html

Starrlight said...

It's mad world when people actually feel the need for organic frickin Oreos