Sunday, June 24, 2007

School's Out For Summer

Actually it looks like this school's out forever. Either that or I hope they have a back door.



I happened across when I was out and about and thought it was cool the way the ivy had grown over the doors. But, you know me, I can't resist Googling things to get the rest of the story...

A search of 'Lincoln Junior High School' (the name on this building in Medford, MA) revealed that Amelia Earhart's sister taught here around 1925-1928, during which time Amelia herself visited several times to speak to the students (
link). That little piece of history is up for sale, as the city of Medford is taking bids on the closed school building. The minimum bid is only is $2,999,000. Such a bargain (if you are a real estate developer).

Check back soon for pictures of the standard-issue, overpriced condos that are almost sure to pop up soon at this same location.

No comments: