Monday, September 17, 2007

Zapped Food - Yum!

Haven't participated in Manic Monday with Mo for quite awhile, so I decided that it's high time I got my act together and played along.


This week's word is crisp.
More crisptacular posts here.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If not for the microwave I probably would have to get take-out every night. It's not that I can't cook or that I am too busy to cook... It's that this is the stove in my apartment.

I have been brave enough to light the oven only twice. The first time it sputtered and hissed such that I immediately shut it off and spent the next 24 hours sure the house was going to explode. Two years later, having healed from the emotional scars left from my first attempt at using my oven, I tried again. But just minutes after lighting the oven, a haze filled the apartment, setting off the smoke detectors. As you might imagine, I am too traumatized at this point to give it another go.

So, thank goodness for the microwave! Yes, I know they are reportedly bad for you and I will probably die early from eating irradiated food. But at least I won't die early in a massive fiery explosion caused by trying to light my crappy, old oven.

So what does all this have to do with this week's Manic Monday word? Not a whole lot, but I was at a loss to think of something especially witty or provocative to write about the word crisp. (This was considered, but rejected since it might suggest I give a rat's ass about the Red Sox.) So I decided to go practical instead and share with you my world-famous recipe for microwaveable apple crisp.* Enjoy.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Microwaveable Apple Crisp

Ingredients
5 cups apples, peeled and sliced
1/2 cup raisins
1 cup flour
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1 egg
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1/3 cup butter, melted
Ground cinnamon

Directions
Combine apples and raisins in an 8-inch square glass baking dish. Cover with plastic wrap and microwave on high for 5 to 6 minutes.

Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and egg in a small mixing bowl. Mix with fork until crumbly. Mix in walnuts. Sprinkle over the apple-raisin mixture. Drizzle butter over crumbs. Sprinkle with cinnamon. Microwave on high for 5-6 minutes or until topping is no longer doughy.

Makes 6-8 servings. Can be served with whipped cream or ice cream.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~

*The fine print: Yeah, OK, so it's not exactly my recipe, but whatever. I found it online a few years ago (Link). The original version calls for New York State Empire apples, but (sorry NY State Apple Association) I've always used locally-grown Macintosh apples. Works just fine.

1 comment:

Travis said...

I'm cruising by from Mo's. That's a pretty scary looking oven. I'd stick to microwaves.

Happy MM!