Sunday, October 07, 2007

I Hate Macy's

Check this out. I used this 'savings pass'...



With fine print - practically magnifying-glass-required fine print since all this had to fit on the back of the credit-card-sized 'savings pass' - that read as follows...

"*Excludes: cosmetics, fragrances, Coach, Dooney & Bourke, kate spade, fashion jewelry and furs, Louis Vuitton, bridge/designer shoes and handbags. For Her: Regular-priced Tommy Bahama and Lauren, Impulse, bridge sportswear, and Lacoste. For Men/Kids: Tommy Bahama, Polo/Ralph Loren, Impulse, Lacoste. For Home: furniture, Martha Stewart, Ralph Lauren furniture, mattresses, rugs, bridal kiosks, All-Clad, Waterford, Crystal and China, small electronics, personal care electronics, technology, Baccarat, and Lalique. Not valid on special orders, restaurants, Everyday Values, Gift Cards, previous purchases, services, J&R Express, Stride Rite, bridal salons, maternity, wigs, Ticketmaster, morning specials, Super Buys, fine Jewelry super buys, macys.com, macysweddingchannel.com, wine and payment on credit accounts. Discount will be deducted from the regular, sale or clearance price as applicable. Cannot be combined with any savings pass/coupon, extra discount, or credit offer, except opening a new Macy's account. Valid for one-time use. Present savings certificate at register. Employees of Macy's, Inc. are not eligible. Valid through October 31, 2007."

On these 'for her' clothing items - three brands not specified as 'excluded' that were found in three different ares of the sales floor - and my 'savings' totaled a whopping $0.00.



When I inquired about my massive savings, the sales person
explained that DKNY is considered 'Impulse' (and is, thus, excluded) and Nine West is 'bridge sportswear' (and is, thus, excluded) and any item with a price ending in 98 cents is an 'everyday value' (and is, thus, excluded). Or maybe I got the categories reversed, but the simple translation is that 99.99% of everything in the entire fucking store store is excluded from the 'savings' offer.

And now you know why I hate Macy's. Well, one of the reasons anyway.

9 comments:

Amber said...

Yep! There's always a catch!

But hey, at least you got some cute things?

Parlancheq said...

Amber: I guess. Except I was going to return the DKNY item because it was so not worth $69. But then I was 'forced' to wear it one day on account of it being the only clean thing I had at that moment. Grr...It's all Macy's fault! ;)

Pamela said...

Macys is evil. One of the many reasons I will no longer shop there:

I got store credit for a $15 Xmas gift. I used it towards a purchase of a few items totalling over $100. I returned one $30 item and they gave me store credit for part of the return! Ridiculous! I've never had any other store do that before.

If you also have their credit card, notice carefully when you log online to pay your bill that they charge an extra $1 each month you have a balance -- you need to manually enter the amount that you actually owe to avoid paying more than you owe. When I called to ask what the extra $1 was for, they had to transfer me since the first person didn't know. They said it was "just in case" I didn't pay my bill in full that month and that I didn't have to pay the extra $1 yet. Mind you, this is several weeks before the bill is even due. Damn straight I was not paying the extra money!

Either they didn't pony up for better IT software and/or they are doing these unscrupulous practices on purpose. I think it is both and refuse to ever shop there again.

Anonymous said...

I work at Macy's and anything with .98 cents ending is called an "Everyday Value" and are almost-always excluded from coupons as it states on the exclusions "...Not valid on special orders, restaurants, Everyday Values, Gift Cards, previous purchases, services..."
I do not work at women's clothing so I am not sure but DKNY may be part of bridge sportswear and that may be why it is excluded as bridge sportswear was excluded on this coupon.

Anonymous said...

DKNY is not IMPULSE. Impulse is designer brands like 7 for all mankind, Hudson, Citizens of Humanity, etc... brands of jeans. They start like around 150s and can go over 250s if they have lots of details.

Anonymous said...

As a Macy's worker ant,I think that sometimes we should take the time to explain how things work: e.g. "EDV" items. Everyday Value items are specially discounted buys from manufacturers that enables Macy's to permanently pass along savings to customers. They never go on sale, nor do they ever increase in price: hence, Everyday Value. If in doubt, ask. Not everything should be spoon-fed to consumers.

Anonymous said...

I work at Macys, and I think you are all retarded. Macys does not care if you ever shop there again. Our store makes just under a million each day and we do not give a fuck about you or your discount.

Elaine said...

I work at Macy's as well, and I don't think Macy's would appreciate the previous comment...

If you really are a Macy's employee, I would curb the negative things you say on the internet on the company's 'behalf'.

Also are we seven or something? Who calls people "retarded" anymore? Just curious.

Anonymous said...

"Everyday value" at Macy's is a joke. Some of these items are $100 and they are not priced that highly at other retailers. Some value.