Friday, October 12, 2007

Some Bolivian Stuff

OK, so I realize that not too many round these parts care about Bolivia except for me but check it out - Bolivian President Evo Morales on The Daily Show!



He's got fans and haters, but one thing is for sure: he has a nice suit.



Related: Well, same country anyway.

I came across the book American Visa by Bolivian author Juan de Recacoechea not via my Bolivian connection but rather via my UMass connection, as it was translated into English by UMass alum Adrian Althoff.


You really should read it, even if you don't give a shit about Bolivia. It's that good. I was going to write a book review to convince you of this, but that's not really my forte. So I looked around on the Internet for one someone else wrote instead. Here you go, go, go and go. And I'll stick in a quote from the publisher's website for good measure.

"In his search for an American visa, the high school teacher in this novel embodies the dreams and aspirations of many would-be immigrants south of the border. This is a thriller with a social conscience, a contemporary noir with lots of humor and flair. The streets of La Paz have never looked so alive. This is one of the best Latin American novels of the last fifteen years."--Edmundo Paz-Soldan, author of Turing's Delirium

Now go read the book already.

No comments: