Monday, October 01, 2007

What the Fluff?

I am late posting about my exciting Saturday adventure at the Marshmallow Fluff festival but since the event's official name - What the Fluff? - only pulls up 2,596 blog hits so far, I guess there is still room for more fluff in the blogsphere.

If you don't know what Fluff is, then A) you're not from New England, and B) you don't know what you're missing. Go
here to educate yourself about this made-in-Massachusetts culinary delight. (Or vile concoction, depending on your point of view.) Better yet, just read this post.

Marshmallow Fluff was
invented in Somerville, MA in 1917, reportedly by the same dude who invented Mary Janes. Actually, I couldn't verify that but that's what it says on the What the Fluff? brochure someone shoved in my face at the festival and who really cares if it's not true anyway?

Fluff is made from corn syrup, sugar, dried egg whites and vanillin, giving it absolutely no nutritional value at all. That's why the preferred method of consumption is to slather it on a slice of Wonder bread and pair it with another slice slathered in peanut butter. (If you're really slow and can't figure this out, someone actually bothered to write out a Fluffernutter recipe.)

Based on the predominant groups at What the Fluff?, it would appear the following are major Fluff aficionados: kids 10 & under, lesbians, and the thrift store chic set. Or maybe those are just the sorts of people who like to hang out at tacky neighborhood street fairs, which - let's face it - is tons of fun. Or blog worthy, at least.

And now for the truly fun fluff...


Prospect Hill Monument (Castle?), a Somerville, MA landmark.

All 80-pounds, 48 (generic) Rice Krispies boxes and 96 7-oz Fluff jars of which was later sacrificed to feed the hungry masses.

So it's been sitting around all afternoon and been touched by tons of people... Who cares? It's free food!


The Flufferettes, who lose a bit of the fluff for adult crowds, provided great family entertainment.

Really. Despite the shouts of the horny 12-year-old boy in the front row for her to take it all off, this was as racy as it got.


Not sure if it was courage or stupidity that caused people to volunteer...

To have their hair done with Fluff styling products...
But the second person in sure looks like he's regretting the whole thing.

Not this guy, though, because the crowd voted him best Fluff head.

After which the paparazzi descended upon him. OK, well it was just the local cable station, but he got his 15 minutes of fame regardless.


More pictures here. I felt compelled to link because I saw this person taking pictures at the festival and wondered what the fluff she was doing photographing the jar of Fluff. Now it makes sense. Sort of.

And, as if that wasn't way too much fluff already, you can also check out this
video of all the fun at What the Fluff?. Turns out (much to my horror) that I am even (ever so briefly) in the video. Can you find me? I certainly hope not.

2 comments:

heartinsanfrancisco said...

My first night at boarding school (on Long Island,) I was initiated into the most popular dorm snack: peanut butter, American cheese and marshmallow sandwiches on white bread.

It was also good on cocoa.

I never knew the history of this great American product, so this was a very informative post.

About those volunteers, though, um, it doesn't wash out of hair very easily.

Sassy Sundry said...

You saw me? Oh dear. My little Fluff experiment is an ongoing project. I started it a few years back when a friend in England requested that I bring some to her "to make fudge." I decided it would be funny to take pictures of it in England, and I just kept going.

Great photos.