Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Best Before August 2006

Let's face it, most of the stuff in the blogsphere is hardly original material. No matter how seemingly original your thought, someone else probably already posted the same exact thing. I believe, though, that I may be the first blogger ever to write about expired yogurt starter. I say that because I scoured the Internet for info on this very topic, all to no avail! It is, therefore, practically a public service for me to post this...

Making yogurt in March 2008 with YĆ³gourmet freeze-dried yogurt starter that says 'best before August 2006' will result in a perfectly yummy batch of yogurt and, as an added bonus, eating the yogurt will not cause intestinal distress.

In case you have old stuff in your cabinets, too, note that I added gelatin, which I usually don't do, just in case the past-prime lactic bacteria were not completely up to snuff. I also let the yogurt incubate 8 hours instead of the usual 4 in my handy-dandy yogurt maker thingy. Though that was not entirely intentional; I was planning to turn the machine off at midnight and pop the yogurt in the fridge so it'd be ready for the next morning, but then I fell asleep on the couch until 3:49 a.m. Being a domestic goddess is very tiring, you know.


Yes, I realize this picture is so blurry that you can't really see the expiration date (blame it on my crappy camera) but I promise the box is indeed stamped with an August 2006 date. (Actually it says Aout 2006, seeing as how it is made in Quebec and they speak French there just to be different.)

2 comments:

Lampy said...

They do a lot of things in Quebec just to be different. They want to leave Canada - but they can't! If you look at a map you'll see that they are TOTALLY attached to the rest of Canada and there is NO escaping. ;)

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much! I have boxes of yogourmet yogurt starters in the fridge that expired early this year and I'm so glad I don't have to throw them away.