Friday, October 03, 2008

Goodwill Hunting #1

Not only does shopping at thrift stores help the environment since old stuff gets reused instead of tossed in a landfill, rummaging through other people's castoffs is great fun. Oh, and sometimes you get lucky and find a bargain which only adds to the enjoyment.

Don't believe me? Here's an example. I found this Mikasa creamer & sugar bowl at Goodwill last weekend.



I saw the sugar bowl first, but it was missing its lid so I passed it by. Later, on the other side of the store, I spotted the creamer with a lid sitting on top as if it were some sort of teapot. And then - ding, ding, ding - it clicked that the 'teapot' and the lidless bowl were a pair. As soon as I remembered where the bowl was, I had a matched set that is like new and perfectly color coordinates with my blue and white kitchen.

The price, if purchased at
Replacements, Ltd, would have been $19.99 + 14.99. At Goodwill it was $0.60 + $1.25. Added bonus: the money went to a good cause.

1 comment:

MeadowLark said...

I don't have a picture but we bought an entire set of dishes... white with silver rim and silver-ish wheat stems. 37 pieces. $9.99.

Cripes! Good find you have there!