Monday, October 13, 2008

Riding the Rails

I was in DC for work for the past few days. I had great intentions of posting while I was there but that didn't happen so instead you get the after-the-fact synopsis.

From Boston to DC I took the Acela Express. The travel time is 6 1/2 hours, compared to 1 1/2 by air, but who cares when you can walk right on board with a Starbucks venti latte in hand? Even if I weren't deathly afraid of flying that alone would make me want to always travel via train rather than plane.

On the way back I was on Amtrak's Northeast Regional (meaning it stops at every podunk station along the way) which departs DC at 10 p.m. and arrives in Boston 10 hours later. It may sound horrendous, but it's not, thanks to the layover in New York City from 1:50 to 3:15 a.m. I went street side to buy a pretzel and cavort with the homeless. Fun stuff.

Because of the long trip (but mostly because work was footing the bill) I upgraded from coach to business class for the return trip. The accommodations were plush - reclining leatherette seats with oodles of leg room and so wide that only three fit across - but the lack of riffraff in business class made the trip less lucrative than similar treks in the past.


Alas, this trip the super-sized train bathrooms went entirely to waste.

View from the train
(Somewhere near the Connecticut / Rhode Island border)

1 comment:

heartinsanfrancisco said...

I love trains. They make me feel so 1930's Orient Express. And your sailboats in the sunset shot is gorgeous!