Monday, November 24, 2008

The Bridges of Lancaster County

My weekend getaway to Amish country was a somewhat last minute tag-on to a Friday business trip to nearby Philadelphia. Thus, instead of thoroughly researching and planning my excursion in advance, I winged the whole thing based on a freebie map in my hotel room.

The map showed several covered bridges and I thought it would be cool to check them out, mostly because some seemed to be off the beaten path and I like to be off the beaten path. Well, come to find out, covered bridges are one of THE tourist attractions in Lancaster county, PA

I hate that I did something typically touristy, but at least I didn't take an organized tour of the bridges with other tourists. That would have been way more tacky than merely pulling over to the side of the road on my own to take all these pictures.


Close inspection revealed that the holes are, indeed, bullet holes. Amish gangs, apparently.


This covered bridge, next to a stretch of highway cluttered with outlet malls, is perfect for tourists who don't want to stray too far from the main drag.


Good thing this one's on private property and closed to the public because it looks too rickety to handle a car.


Covered bridge + Amish buggy. How's that for a perfect tourist shot?


Hmm, a brown one. Most of the others were red and white. Maybe the paint ran out?


I have nothing to say about this one.


Seriously, they are all starting to look the same.


This would have screwed up my planned travel route if not for the detour nearby...


No, I didn't drive on this. But I really, really wanted to. Instead I had to backtrack to the main road and go another way.


Since I always strive to be as informative as humanly possible I scrounged around on the Internet after I got home to figure out the names of the bridges I'd photographed. I can't find find the paper where I wrote the info down, though, and I'm too lazy to look them all up again. You probably don't care anyway. And if you do, you can go here and figure it out yourself.

And, yeah, these pictures from my trip are being posted somewhat after the fact. I was actually in Lancaster Country November 8 & 9.

No comments: