Tuesday, November 04, 2008

I Stood and Was Counted

Talk about excitement. In all past elections in which I cast my ballot in Massachusetts (dating back to Bush / Gore in 2000 when I signaled my disdain for that match up by voting Nader) my polling place has not distributed those little 'I Voted' stickers. But this year they did. Yippee!

I was prepared for long lines at the polls today. Somewhat prepared, that is. Not sure I would have waited hours and hours to cast my only-semi-enthusiastic vote for Obama in a state where Obama is basically a shoe in. (If I lived in a battleground state, it would be a different story. I would bring my lawn chair and coffee mug and camp out for the duration.)

Didn't come to that, though. Thanks to hitting the polls between the before-work and lunch-hour rushes and a bunch of election workers who really seemed to have their act together, I was in and out in exactly 25 minutes. (Really. I timed it. In line at 10:56 a.m. Out the door, after voting, at 11:21 a.m.) Would have been even faster except I had to take extra time to read two totally lame local ballot questions. One was as follows:

“Shall the state representative from this district be instructed to vote in favor of amending the state Constitution to replace the state Legislature with 100 randomly selected adult residents of Massachusetts, each serving one year terms on a rotating basis to be named the Commonwealth Jury and to have all powers of the current Legislature.”

Seriously? I'm all for power to the people, but not necessarily power to wicked re-tah-ded assholes, of which there are a fair share in Massachusetts. (Several on my block alone.) And what if those randomly selected don't want to serve? Is it like jury duty and they don't get a choice? Would we really want people who don't want to be legislators legislating for us? I think not. Big NO on that one, not that it has a chance in hell of going anywhere anyway.

But, back to the point. Did you vote yet? (If not, what are you waiting for?) How long did you have to wait? How long were you willing to wait?

1 comment:

heartinsanfrancisco said...

Ya vote.

Obama.

It's been a long time since I voted for a winner. I like him and I agree on the issues you raised in your non-endorsement post.

I think he'll be great, and not just because he isn't Bush.