Tuesday, November 04, 2008

A Non-Endorsement Endorsement

I must admit. I am not a huge fan of Barack Obama. I didn't vote for him in the primaries. Nevertheless, he'll get my vote in Tuesday's election.

Am I making the right choice? Check back in a few years and I'll tell you for sure. At the moment I can only say that I've considered the issues most important to me and there is absolutely no way in hell I could ever cast my vote for John McCain.

That's not to say he's a bad guy. As the senior US Senator from Arizona I like McCain just fine. And, quite honestly, there's no arguing that he has the experience to be president, given his many years of public service.

However, as we saw with Dubya, even a complete moron can muddle through the presidency if he surrounds himself with the right people. So far McCain hasn't shown us he can do that.

Case in point: Sarah Palin. If picking her as a running mate over several more suitable people is indicative of McCain's maverick ways, then perhaps a maverick in the White House is not such a good thing after all. Palin clearly is not qualified to be anywhere near the oval office, even if it would give us 4 years of SNL prosperity.

But enough about the players, on to the issues. I can compromise on other stuff, but I absolutely, positively can not in good faith vote for a candidate who does not (in no particular order):

  • Believe in Roe v Wade and a women's right to choose;
  • Value diversity enough to allow for at least civil unions (if not marriage) for same-sex couples;
  • Place Constitutional rights over any minimal security gained from quashing those rights; and
  • Want to get our troops out of Iraq a.s.a.p.
The issues near and dear to you may be different, so rather than go into detail, suffice it to say that McCain fails on all four points. Obama, to the extent campaign rhetoric is to believed, fares much better.

That's why Obama will get my vote. Am I sure of him? No. Am I sure that he's a better choice than McCain? You betcha!

Not to mention that casting my vote for the person who very well could become the first US President not to be a white male is kind of cool. Not that I would ever vote for someone based on race or gender. That would be doggone stupid and if you're deciding your vote on that basis you really should just stay home.

(Unless you're voting for Obama, just in case yours is the deciding vote.)

Wishful thinking (Via CNN's Electoral Map Calculator)


And before I drop the serious act, for my numerous Massachusetts readers, might I suggest you mark the following selections on the all-important ballot issues:

#1 to abolish the state income tax - No. If you feel strongly about having no income tax, still vote no but then feel free to move to New Hampshire.

#2 to decriminalize marijuana - Yes. Musicians like to burn from time to time (or so I'm told). My kid's a musician. 'Nuff said.

#3 to ban greyhound racing - Whatev-ah. I was once bit by a dog. I tend to hold a grudge.

No comments: