Monday, March 09, 2009

Gag Me, Literally

I think vitamin supplements are pointless and basically a waste of money for all but perhaps those folks who must restrict what they eat because of illness, allergies or the 600-calorie-a-day liquid diet they're trying so they can fit their fat asses back into their skinny jeans. Nevertheless, since two out of four doctors surveyed recommended I pop some vitamin D, I figured I'd give one bottle's worth a try. After all, if I take a supplement for the next month I can claim to be maintaining a healthy diet whilst chowing down on nothing but partially-hydrogenated- vegetable-oil- and high-fructose-corn-syrup-laden tasty treats, right?

The only problem is that swallowing one of these super-sized tablets is to risk choking to death. What's worse, a daily dose is not one tablet, but three!



If they can make laundry detergent so concentrated that enough for 32 loads fits in a tiny little bottle, how come they haven't found a way to make a day's dose of Calcium & Vitamin D small enough to swallow?

1 comment:

heartinsanfrancisco said...

Couldn't agree more. I used to take birth control pills, which are tiny, by crushing them in applesauce and eating them like a baby.

All the newest research seems to indicate that most vitamin supplements are less beneficial than getting them in food, which is a huge relief to this bad pill taker.