Tuesday, June 09, 2009

Goodwill Hunting #3

At $1.99, this cookbook, which is undated but appears to be from around 1970 or so, was a tad bit pricey by Goodwill standards. But when I saw the exact same thing selling for upwards of $2.49 on the Internet I knew I had gotten a deal. Plus, there's no putting a price tag on the fun I will surely have, to use the words straight out of the cookbook, "working magic with convenience foods."



TOMATO SOUP CAKE

1 3/4 c sifted all purpose flour
1 c sugar
3 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1/2 tsp group nutmeg
1/2 c hydrogenated shortening
1 can condensed tomato soup
2 eggs

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour two 8-inch layer pans. Sift dry ingredients together in a large bowl. Add shortening and 1/2 can soup. Beat on medium speed with electric mixer 2 minutes (150 strokes per minute by hand). Add remaining soup and eggs. Beat 2 minutes more, scrapping bowl frequently. Pour into pans. Bake 30 to 35 minutes. Let stand in pans 10 minutes; remove and cool on rack. Frost with cream cheese frosting or use your favorite white frosting.




I couldn't bring myself to actually buy a vat of hydrogenated shortening, so I used a stick of real butter instead. And I did cupcakes instead of layer cake (baking about 15-20 minutes).





Hmm, hmm, good. Or not. Actually the "wonderful what-is-it flavor" promised by the cookbook did not materialize. Got Sneaker Dude and Rock Star to eat some of the cupcakes, partly because I never told them what they were made of and partly because boys will eat anything, but ended up throwing out the last few after they sat in the kitchen uneaten for a week.

No comments: