Wednesday, July 01, 2009

Goodwill Hunting #4

I probably won't top this Goodwill treasure for quite some time. I almost didn't even get my hands on it. See, someone else dug it out of a bin at Goodwill, but seemed indecisive about purchasing it. When I inquired she said she'd stick it right in my fat little fist if she decide not to buy it. So I waited.

And waited.

And waited.

And waited.

Eventually she said she had enough of these at home, handed it to me and left. Thanks nice fellow Goodwill hunter. You rock. I had nothing like this before now. Actually I imagine most people don't. After all, how often do people deposit this sort of family history at Goodwill??


Front cover


First page


Sample of subsequent pages



The album, which is in amazingly good condition (to the point where I was almost wondering if it was a fake) contains 64 ' cabinet cards,' (4 1/2 x 6 1/2 inches) like pictured above, plus 10 smaller 'carte de viste' (2 1/2 x 4 1/2 inches). Also stuck behind the pictures were one funeral notice (Mary McNee, d. Nov. 11, 1887) and 1 locket-size tin type picture.

Most of the photography studios stamped on the cards are located in New Hampshire, with a smattering from other places, including some as far away as Cheyenne and San Francisco. Only a handful of the pictures have people's names on the back; those that were legible led nowhere fast on the Internet.


"Harriet Evelyn Snow, Age 1 years"


Do you have no ancestors young Miss Harriet, or do they just not care?


Goodwill price: $3.99 (Rung at the register as a 'special book.')

Market price: $5-$10 per photo (?)

Value: To a relative, presumably priceless.

3 comments:

jay said...

WOW! I'd have snapped that up, too! It's gorgeous, and such a great find!

I always wonder about the descendents when I see something like this. I only know how much I would value finding such an album belonging to my own ancestors!

Are you going to try to track down the family?

CP said...

I love to make up little stories about old photos like that...complete with "where are they now" kind of thoughts.

That album is gorgeous. I would have had to snap it up too.

heartinsanfrancisco said...

You scored - totally. It's well worth the sour old lady smell of Goodwill to unearth such a treasure, but how sad that no relative claimed it when its owner died.